Friday, June 12, 2009

Landlubbers No More

At last writing in mid-September, we were back in Green Bay after living aboard for 12 months. In that time we traveled 5,061 statute (land) miles. We spent 159 nights at marinas; 107 nights at anchor; 55 nights at free docks and 40 nights on mooring balls. I think we were both ready for a break and the comforts of home. Ironically, the winter brought even more snow than the previous one we spent in Florida, and that was a record breaker. Paul got himself a new heftier snow blower but that didn’t stop him from grumbling about the weather. Em, however, kept her promise to never complain about the cold (since I never stopped griping about the heat on our trip!)

Paul was kept quite busy with his contract work but my temporary work was pretty slow. I was forced to get things done around the house and keep the pets company. Nap time: that’s Ferris, Alison’s evil cat, with me and Ginger. I shouldn’t say “evil” but extremely unpredictable at the least!


Spring arrived at last. I especially enjoyed seeing things greening up, spring flowers and our magnolia tree in bloom for too brief a time. I missed those things last year being in a warm climate all winter (I'm not complaining!)

Mother’s Day and my birthday was much more fun this year. It brought a family trip to Miller Park for a Milwaukee Brewers’ victory and dinner out in Green Bay with Alison the next day.


I now have FOUR snuggies (2 burgundy; 2 aqua) compliments of Paul! I brought one along to keep me warm in the cockpit on a cool summer night.

Paul and our son Eric drove to the Buffalo, NY area May 29th to get the boat ready for launch. The van was packed full of everything we could imagine we’d need. No pictures of the launch since the camera was at home but all went well. Thank you SO much, Eric, for taking vacation time to help us out and for all your hard work! Paul replaced our non-working radar system with another one and found the problem was in our display unit. He attempted to repair the wiring to the anometer (wind machine) but as of yet, hasn’t been successful in getting it to work. The boat is getting in “ship-shape” however, inside and out. I'm the inside cleaner/organizer.
I delayed heading to NY to attend a family wedding. It worked out well for two reasons: I got to see family and friends I don't often see and I missed the 12-hour drive in the van. I flew out with Ginger on June 9th; GB to Detroit and from there to Buffalo. I was a little worried about Ginger flying at her advanced age but she was just fine in the pet carrier Eric got for us. I was so glad it had wheels and a long strap for the long walk during the layover. She was a source of many conversations as usual.

These unusual towers are close to our dock at Smith Boys Marina. They’re remnants of a paper mill and are now home to LOTS of swallows and working and non-working grills.



We’re actually on Tonawanda Island in the fast flowing Niagara River. This was the view last night from our stern looking toward the river. I guess I did miss those great sunset views!


We’re looking forward to a visit from Kyle and Lizzie this weekend when they drive across the state from Brooklyn. Then we’re off to Lake Erie. Thanks for sticking with us on the journey!

3 comments:

seaestate said...

Hi Paul & Em
Glad to see your back on the loop, we'll be following you through your updates. Enjoy the Erie Canal, we really did going through there last year. Maybe we'll see you out on Lake Huron one day.
Ed & Connie
Sea Estate
docked in Caseville

TheMeltingSun said...

See you two very soon!! We are excited :)

Linda Ellis said...

Hi Paul & Em

We too are glad you are back on the water and the Loop. We would love to catch up to you, but it is doubtful this year. However, we will follow your blog. Be safe and enjoy the rest of your trip.

Mark and Linda
aboard the Lolligag
currently in Annapolis