Saturday, September 15, 2007

We're On Our Way

I'm writing this at the library in Sheboygan - first time we've had internet so I'll give a quick update:

Wed. Sept 12th: We left Green Bay about mid-day. We'd planned to leave on Tuesday but the winds were too high. Wednesday was sunny but cool, 56 degrees and very calm. We find it ironic that now we are glad for no wind! The constant drone of the engine is something I'll have to get used to - it makes me sleepy! We spent a peaceful night in Sturgeon Bay.

Thurs. Sept 13th: Left at 5:00 am to beat the winds that were supposed to pipe up mid-day. Too late!! It was already blowing when we got out of the channel into Lake Michigan but we did see a gorgeous sunrise. We endured it for 6 hours and pulled in at Kewaunee. Without having any sail to put up for stability, it was pretty rocky - not fun! We gained confidence that the mast support system was going to stay onboard though; it was tested thoroughly. Waves were 6 ft plus and we were heading directly into the wind.

Fri. Sept 14th: Left Kewaunee about 9:30 am -
destination Sheboygan. Still pretty windy but not
as bad; more on our aft quarter and coming off land. I found out what wasn't as secured down below as I'd thought (one chipped plate isn't so bad I guess). Got to Sheboygan late aft and got a slip at Harbor Centre.

Sat. Sept 15th: There were record low temps last night in the area. We believe it because it was 47 degrees in the boat this am! I didn't want to run the heat at night because it's loud but I may have to get used to that! We plan to shove off for Milwaukee soon. The plan is to leave there on Sunday with Eric aboard. Hopefully the high winds are behind us. Stay tuned and thanks for all your prayers and good wishes!

1 comment:

LucindaLee said...

Glad you are still afloat!
The next GBSPS newsletter deadline is 10/17/07. I'm expecting lots of great pictures and adventure stories by then!
Lucinda